From water, sewer, fire and trauma scene decontamination to asbestos, mold and wind damage, we offer a variety of services when an emergency hits your home. Working in the Calgary area, we’re the one to call when you need someone who cares.
Red Dot Restoration is a full service restoration company, proudly serving Calgary and area. Since 2005, we’ve been offering everything you need to restore your home and recover from emergency services, including floods, sewer backups, fire damage, mold and asbestos removal, wind and hail damage.
WATER, SEWER, FLOOD
- Weather (storm, hail wind)
- Bio-hazardous (asbestos abatement, mold remediation, trauma scene)
- Emergency services on-site within two hours
- Fully trained and certified staff (consultants available upon request)
- Experienced in small and large (multi-unit) losses
MOLD & ASBESTOS
- Fully certified mold and asbestos technicians on each job
- Pollution insurance
- Asbestos testing available
At Red Dot Restoration we have a dedicated crew who safely remove asbestos, while ensuring attention to detail is never compromised. Our remediation technicians follow strict guidelines to ensure that we protect the health & safety of both our staff and your family. Part of the regulations require air quality testing before, during and at the end of the project to ensure everyone’s safety (this criteria can vary slightly depending on the level of risk). This testing must be carried out by a third party, which is normally an industrial hygienist referred to as Indoor Air Quality Expert (IAE).
We offer a number of asbestos removal services for the Calgary area, including:
- Emergency repair
- Asbestos removal and encapsulation
- Licensed asbestos waste transportation
- Consultation to assist in provincial regulatory compliance
- Full adherence to infection control measures for asbestos
- Food source – mold likes to feed on cellulose, drywall & timber are excellent sources of cellulose. Mold cannot grow on metal or concrete (no food source).
- Temperature – The range of temperatures we humans find comfortable to live in is the same temperatures mold thrives in.
- Stagnant air – mold will not grow if there is moving air. The air must be still, stagnant for mold to grow.
- Constant source of moisture – there must be constant moisture for mold to grow. If the moisture stops the mold will stop growing and go dormant, however, as soon as moisture is reintroduced to the area mold will start to grow again. When mold is active (growing) is when it smells the strongest, it has a distinctive mushroomy, musty odour.
- Time – if all of the conditions above exist, mold starts to become a concern after three days, 72 hours.
"The poison is in the dose". What is significant is the amount of mold, a small area the size of a ping pong ball is not considered a serious bio hazard, however, as the mold gets bigger so does the seriousness. It is worth bearing in mind that mold is not always visible. All that being said, we also understand that each person has a different sensitivity to mould, this is also taken into consideration when evaluating a remediation plan.
Mold is not a controlled substance, so the treatment of mold is varied, although there are some very good protocols ‘best practices’ in place. We adhere to the guidelines developed by The Clean Trust (formerly IICRC) they have a document called S520 that has survived the test of time and is very thorough. This protocol is recognised by insurance companies and property professionals throughout North America.
When remediating mold it is usually necessary to build a negative air containment incorporating a decontamination chamber and a HEPA (highly efficient particulate air arrestor) negative air machine. The technicians will be wearing Tyvek suites, full face gas masks and surgical gloves. Depending on the size and location of the mold it may be necessary to involve an IAE (indoor air quality expert). They will take air quality samples at the beginning and end of the project to ensure the air quality is within acceptable parameters. If you have specific questions around a mold issue , feel free to contact one of our Project Managers who have a wealth of experience in mold remediation.